The Action Environmental Group, parent company of Action Carting in New York City and Interstate Waste Services in Northern New Jersey/Southern New York State, is one of the most progressive and innovative providers of non-hazardous waste management services, serving a diverse range of industrial and commercial customers. Action is a committed Second Chance employer.
We are looking to add several Diesel Mechanics to our team in the NY and NJ depots. Our Diesel Mechanics play a key role in keeping our company running. Without skilled Mechanics who know how to diagnose and repair issues safely and quickly, providing an excellent work place for our employees and exceptional service to our customers would be next to impossible.
Our Diesel Mechanics perform inspection, diagnosis, preventative maintenance, and repair of electrical, hydraulic, suspension, brake and air systems on vehicles and equipment, including diesel heavy trucks, engines, and yellow-iron equipment. Utilizing diagnostic software, the Mechanic is responsible for interpreting failure modes and initiate or assign necessary repairs. At times, the Mechanic may be on call, and required to assist with emergency breakdowns.
If you have experience or training as a Diesel Mechanic – apply now to join our team of dedicated, skilled tradesmen. We believe in providing the training and development you need to grow your career with the Action Environmental Group.
- We are continuously investing in equipment, and many of our trucks are less than 2 years old.
- The Diesel Mechanics will be working out of one of the following locations: Jersey City NJ, Sloatsburg NY, or Closter NJ. Occasional travel to other sites as well as assisting with emergency breakdowns will be required.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided
- The Diesel Mechanic position may be required to lift up to 50 pounds. Frequent squatting and standing is required.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and legally eligible to work in the United States.
- A valid driver’s license is required. CDL is a plus.
- Experience working on heavy duty diesel equipment OR training from a recognized trade school is required.
- Must be able to speak and read English well enough to converse with colleagues, drivers and dispatch, and be able to make legible entries on reports and records.
- Must be able to meet the physical and safety requirements of the position.
- Must be able to provide own tools
Entry-level candidates will be considered for this position and on-the-job training provided. Candidates with the following experience may be considered for a Mechanic B or A level position which has a higher level of responsibility as well a compensation:
- 2+ years experience working as a heavy duty Diesel Mechanic
- Experience with troubleshooting/repairing DPF systems diagnostic software such as Premium Tech Tool (Mack), Allison transmission, Cummins, CAT, Peterbilt, and Paccar.
- Yellow Iron experience and/or experience as a Mechanic or Technician for a refuge company is a plus.
- Working knowledge of applicable DOT and OSHA standards and regulations.