The Restorative Justice Project’s Administrative Associate position is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team taking on innovative solutions in justice reinvestment. You’ll serve as both an executive assistant to Ashlee George, Associate Director of the Restorative Justice Project, and as the Administrative Associate (AA) to the Restorative Justice Project. The AA will have the dual responsibilities supporting the Associate Director in the scheduling and planning of their calendar and tasks, and of supporting the Restorative Justice Project general operations and administrative needs. The AA will report to the Senior Program Manager.
About the Organization:
Impact Justice is a national innovation and research center that is committed to reducing the number of people involved in our juvenile and adult criminal justice system, improving conditions for those who remain incarcerated, providing meaningful opportunities for success for those re-joining our communities and improving justice outcomes for crime victims. Impact Justice is working with bipartisan support to reduce our nation’s over-reliance on incarceration, with research, evaluations, technical assistance, policy work and the use of innovation and experimentation.
Who We Are:
The Restorative Justice Project at Impact Justice works throughout California and across the country to support communities to meet victim-identified needs while reducing incarceration, recidivism, racial and ethnic disparities, and related social and fiscal costs. The Restorative Justice Project assists ten cities across the nation to implement pre-charge youth restorative justice diversion programs that serve as community-based alternatives to youth incarceration over the course of the next five years.
Along with assisting communities in establishing restorative justice diversion programs, the Restorative Justice Project collects and evaluates data on these models in order to develop reliable evidence supporting the effectiveness of restorative diversion programs. Moreover, the Restorative Justice Project is developing a robust toolkit featuring success stories and best practices to provide communities with a step-by-step guide to creating a culturally responsive victim-oriented restorative diversion program. Finally, the Restorative Justice Project is working to establish restorative justice models geared towards addressing child sexual abuse and intimate partner violence.
Please see our website at www.impactjustice.org for more information.
Technologies we use:
- Google Suite
- Microsoft Office Suite
You are a multi-functional task doer and problem-solver, providing comprehensive support to the Restorative Justice Project team. This includes:
- Helping the Associate Director maximize their effectiveness. Your job is to make sure the Associate Director’s time is spent on the priorities she’s defined for herself. You’ll make sure her schedule reflects those priorities, that she has the focused time she needs on big projects but is also across all the details of running the Restorative Justice Project. This means everything from managing her calendar, scheduling meetings, sending emails, scheduling tasks on Asana, to sitting down next to her while she does that thing she’s been procrastinating on for a week, to making sure she doesn’t miss her flight.
- Managing logistics. You’ll take care of the many essential details needed to run the Restorative Justice project. You’ll help coordinate the travel details of the Restorative Justice team, conduct light expense reporting, coordinate logistics for our trainings, maintain our resource inventory, input tasks into Asana, and send out logistic and follow-up emails to our partners. You’ll make sure nothing slips through the cracks.
- Meeting prep, facilitation, and follow-up. To keep our team organized, you will develop and circulate meeting agendas in advance, set up meeting spaces, and make sure everyone has the Zoom conference line. You’ll also take notes in meetings, take note of action items, and ensure people are assigned to action items with realistic timelines set. You’ll also send out notes after meetings and schedule action items into Asana.
- Coordination across teams. Working with the Finance, Administrative, and Special Project teams to help with event planning, contracts, timesheets, etc. You will also provide limited administrative support across Impact Justice.
- Managing the beauty and order of our physical and digital space. With the fast-paced schedule our team keeps, it is important to maintain a work space that inspires harmony. You will keep our meeting room organized, including erasing whiteboards, meeting setup, and filing. You will also manage the organization of our digital files, making sure that files are organized in the correct folders, with consistent labeling, etc. You will also prepare, collate, and package training materials for use in our trainings and presentations.
- Trustworthiness and reliability. You will have access to the Associate Director’s email and calendar, so it is important to be someone who will keep information confidential and will follow through on tasks.
- Self-reflective. Restorative justice is about coming home to ourselves. As such, you are someone who has low ego, willing to grow, and is willing to give and receive feedback.
- Liberation framework. You are committed to ending racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities and injustice.
- Strong communication. You have strong listening and communication skills, verbal and writing.
- Organized and efficient. You are detail-oriented with a demonstrated track record of getting work completed in timely and efficient manner. You have a positive, solutions-oriented approach to problem solving. You have strong personal time management skills – ability to manage and prioritize many tasks across multiple projects.
- Tech savviness. You are someone who may not be a tech expert, but has an innate curiosity around learning and understanding technology. You will help us troubleshoot tech concerns during meetings and presentations, and are comfortable with Google Suite, including Gmail and Google Drive. You also are comfortable with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Team player. You have strong interpersonal skills and love playing a support role in a dynamic, growing team. You enjoy having fun with our team!
- Flexible and adaptive. You are a self starter who thrives in a changing, dynamic environment, occasionally with immediate and unexpected deadlines. You can juggle multiple projects and can work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with a team.
- Personal experience within the system including formerly incarcerated, former foster youth, or has loved ones who are systems impacted.
- Bachelor’s Degree/AA Degree and/or 2+ years relevant administrative experience or equivalent experience.
- Interest and/or experience in criminal and social justice work.
- Experience in event planning.
- Ability to maintain a restorative justice orientation in relationship to staff, partners, and tone of correspondence and content produced.
We know there are great candidates who may exactly not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
When you click APPLY, please include your resume AND answers to the following five questions:
- Why do you want to work for Impact Justice’s Restorative Justice Project? (100 word limit)
- What makes you a great fit for this job? (This is a chance to sell yourself for the position) (100 word limit)
- How do you handle multiple assignments from different people with competing deadlines? (150 word limit)
- List which of the Big Pluses listed above you meet, with a VERY brief explanation or further detail (1 sentence or less!) where helpful.
- Name when you would be available to start in-person in Oakland if you got the job and salary requirements.
The hard deadline for applying for this position is July 31, 2018.
Location: Oakland, CA
Work schedule: Full-time position, at 40 hours per week, some weekends
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary range is $45-50,000
- Generous benefits package including medical, dental, flex plan, and 401(k).
- Generous vacation and sick leave.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Impact Justice provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race/ethnicity, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, criminal history, or disability. We work closely with communities of color, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, gender nonconforming, and transgender communities, the formerly incarcerated, and former foster youth. Those with lived experience in these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.