Do you desire to be part of lives being transformed by the power of Jesus Christ? Prison Fellowship (PF) is seeking a Program Counselor within our faith-based PF Academy program located in Lino Lakes, MN. In this role you will deliver classroom curriculum and provide case management for program participants within prison. Provide one-on-one program coaching on a variety of topics, including substance abuse education. Monitor participants’ progress in individualized performance agreement. Recruit, train and manage volunteers, and Academy Clerks. Schedule and coordinate activities with DOC. Provide ongoing program evaluation and improvement. Primary duty consists of performing office or non-manual work directly related to the management or general business operations of Prison Fellowship. Work includes the exercise of discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance. Perform other duties as assigned.
The PF Academy is a reentry program for prisoners based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. This values-based program is built on the belief that real and lasting change takes place from within. The Academy stresses personal responsibility, the value of education and hard work, and care of persons and property. The Academy challenges and equips participants to become healthy contributing members of their family and community, beginning inside prison and continuing on the outside.
Skills & Requirements
- College degree in Behavioral Science or at least 6 years’ experience working with at-risk individuals; substance abuse training certification (dependent on local licensure requirements).
- 3+ years’ experience working personally with at-risk individuals, prisoners, or other relevant population.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate people.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and presentation skills.
- Basic proficiency in Windows, MS word, Excel, Outlook, and the Internet.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and experience.
- Knowledge of issues related to prison ministry; training and experience with substance abuse/recovery process.
- Mature Christian in agreement with PF’s mission, vision, values and statement of faith ( http://www.prisonfellowship.org/about/statement-of-faith/ )
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential information.
- Satisfactory background check (PF does not discriminate against individuals with a prior criminal history).
- Valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to meet requirements imposed by the state, DOC, or other entity, which may include but is not limited to a background check and pre-employment drug testing.
- Conditions of Position’s Environment: Exposure to intense and confining atmosphere. Video surveillance and monitoring. Rigid security and clearance procedures. Varied work schedule; frequently includes evenings and weekends; subject to DOC rules and regulations at in-prison worksite.