Most Veterans who are in jail or prison will eventually reenter the community. VA’s HCRV program is designed to promote success and prevent homelessness among Veterans returning home after incarceration.
HCRV services include:
- Outreach and pre-release assessments services for Veterans in prison
- Referrals and linkages to medical, mental health and social services, including employment services on release
- Short-term case management assistance on release
VA may not provide medical services that are provided by correctional institutions.
- Get ready for release. Veterans who are incarcerated can use state-specific resource guides, which identify steps to find work, housing and other services on release.
- Get assistance. Your state or community HCRV specialist may provide assistance. Send an email with your contact information and a brief message about your concern. Specialists are often working in the community, and so if they don’t reply right away, send another email.
- Get more information. With questions about the national HCRV program, contact Jessica Blue-Howells. As noted, to request assistance for yourself or for another Veteran, contact the appropriate HCRV specialist from the list below.